Friday, October 8, 2010

Rachel's Response to Part One

1. Which girl do you identify the most with?
Probably a toss up between Sally and Celia. I totally get the Sally feeling of being so in love and so happy, but feeling like you have to hide it around certain people. I've been there. I have plenty of single friends who are happy for me and for my relationship, but I think almost everyone has those bitter people in their life who find it hard to be happy for someone else's good fortune with love. And then there's Celia. She's so nice and seems likable and it also feels like she doesn't quite know the direction her life is heading it at the moment. I get all that and definitely identify with it. I also could relate to her in the dorms, wanting to make friends, but that awkwardness that comes with that.

2. If you're a college student or graduate, what similarities or differences do you see between this story to your own college experience?

Similarities: The friendships. The way that your dorm becomes your "safe place" where your surrounded by people you love and care about, the jealousy of friendships...all of that was familiar to me. I'll even say the "traditions" were the author writes about at Smith were familiar to me also. We had many different traditions and old rituals, but they were certainly there.

Differences: I didn't attend a women's college. In fact, many of my college memories are also connected to the males I met there. I have several good male friends from college. To imagine college without that seems crazy. I also find that my large coed state school didn't have the sense of feminism that the girls are finding at Smith. Big surprise!

3. Which girl do you think has changed the most since her time in college? In what ways has she changed?

I want to say Bree, but Bree's change occurred more IN college rather than out of college. She fell in love with Lara long before graduation. Because of that, I'm going to say Sally. Her relationships with men and her friends have changed greatly, and having Jake makes her a different person. Not a bad person, but things have changed for her.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am really enjoying the book, but I'll say on here what I emailed Erin earlier this week. I had no idea that feminism would be such a strong subject in the book. Part of me isn't sure where the book is going and/or if I'm going to like part 2....It's just very different than I had expected.

Look for part 2 questions next week!!

5 comments:

  1. I read it a couple of months ago and I still can't decide if I liked it or not. Parts are great, but other parts may just be too much for me to wrap my head around. I can't wait to see what you think about part two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your last part. I was not expecting feminism to be such a strong subject either. It's a little much for me. I'm wondering what my final thoughts will be once we're finished. This is not the kind of book I would usually read on my own, but it's really nice to step out of my book comfort zone. Thanks for starting the book club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the women's college graduate... I definitely thought that feminism would be a strong theme. It's just something that is instilled early and often at an all-girls school.

    I'm still deciphering my thoughts...

    I'm definitely interested to hear your take on the 2nd half....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am liking the book. The feminism doesn't really both me. I saw the book more about the friendship these girls are having, and the feminism, although I did notice, didn't really jump out at me as much. I am almost done with Part 2, but when I did start it, I had no idea where it was going to go. Can't wait to respond next week to Part 2, and also see everyone's responses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so behind on reading everyone's responses it's embarrassing but I had to tell you that I totally see your points. I think I said I am most like Celia (except I am married) but you're right int hat I think I would be a blend of Celia and Sally.

    I also think feminism is something that is strongly "pushed" (maybe not the right word...) from the beginning. From the acceptance letter to the silly traditions and the relationships - it's all around being a "strong woman".

    I have both the small women's liberal arts college experience AND the giant co-ed State school experience so it's really interesting to see everyone's thoughts on this book.

    ReplyDelete